Saturday, October 13, 2007

Sake


Sometimes I’m invited, but I actually don’t like party in a dormitory: That’s completely for young kids. I prefer enjoying drink alcohols with, just one guy is best, in quiet places. Korean or Taiwan guys are good partners here. They have similar customs.
I prefer an old style sake-bar; inside of which there is a bar only for several customers. After my job finished about 9 PM, I go generally alone or often call a friend to meet there. I talk to the bar’s owner in the counter a little or other customers we have met sometimes. We can order a few kinds of local sake or shochu (distilled spirits made from wheat or sweet potato), which generally depend on favor of bar’s owner himself, sliced raw fish in each season and boiled vegetables on a small bowl. It all must have absolutely different feelings from western style bar, but so it is impossible to describe those differences by English.
I have heard that some international students were seriously worried difficulties how they could make American friends. I noticed that “friend” might not be so important concept in Japan, perhaps, also in other Asian countries. Friends of us can be replaced in another relationship, like junior, senior, colleague, ex-classmate, friend’s girlfriend or some else. Also, we unconsciously tend to keep following those formats of relationship on every friend. However, in US, friendship is definitely a relationship between a couple individuals. The concept, “Friend,” might come from outside just modern era; though I’m not sure because I’m not a linguist.
Anyway, it’s about midnight when I leave the sake-bar. Then, I call a close friend to have fun again in his room until the morning.

4 comments:

The "I" Blog - Melissa said...

Hi Nobu,
I find this entry really interesting - cultural differences in terms of expectations and practices absolutely fascinate me. Have you found any sake bars around here? From what you describe, yes, an American type of bar is much different than a Japanese one. I much prefer the Japanese description!
Your thoughts on Japanese and American expectations of friendship is really interesting, too.
Melissa

Poonam said...

I heard that sake only has about three ingredients, but is the hardest to make... Is that true?
And, I never knew that about Naruto! Thanks for telling me! Now I know why he's so obsessed with ramen!!! XD
I love Japan :D
Sake and anime go together too, don't they?
:}
-Poonam

Nobu said...

Thanks for your comment, poonam!
You know very well, that's right, basically sake is made from only rice, water and koji. But an expert is also essential.

Topics on this blog might be a little boring for you^^; But I was involved in TV game industry for 10 years (as a music composer), and I love manga, too.
So, on campus, I appreciate you will talk to me anything you are interested in!

Poonam said...

A music composer!? Wow!!! :D I wish I knew how to play a violin... ._.
:D I'd love to talk to you, if I ever have anything to talk about! XD And, if only I wasn't so shy... TT^TT