Friday, October 5, 2007

Zen


In Myanmar, Buddhist monks are killed by official troops. It must cause considerable impact in these days when serious conflicts between Christianity culture and Islamic culture come to obvious. They are regarded as only a symbol of peace in the world. While Myanmar’s policy, off course, can’t be allowed, I feel not anger but only sad by sympathizing with the martyrs.
I am a Zen Buddhist. We don’t have any communities or rules. Also, we don’t have to declare to be. Just meditating. That’s all. But, attitudes to everyday’s life are formed naturally thorough meditation. When I was engage in Kempo (almost same as Karate), I met the idea of Zen which strongly influenced in the origin of most martial arts. In my thoughts, we are quite similar to Quakers.
To living in a different culture, we need to hold our identities more tightly. As a result, I became more conscious of the fact I’m a Zen Buddhist.
“Little Buddha,” Bernardo Bertolucci filmed in 1993, which is not so famous movie among his works, but I like this one rather than Academy awarded “The Last Emperor.” This might help to understand the monks killed in Myanmar.

1 comment:

The "I" Blog - Melissa said...

Nobu,
I appreciate your comments this week - I've heard of the film "Little Buddha" but haven't seen it -- you've inspired me to put it on my Netflix queue!
Melissa