Saturday, November 24, 2007

A Couple of Bach


Everyone who has learned music in school must have at least heard his name. J.S. Bach is one of the greatest composers in the history of classic music. Beethoven, Schubert and Brahms must have been genius and significant composers in the development of western music, so their works attained definite positions in the genealogy of classic music. Most classical musicians have been trying to recreate those ideal sounds. On the other hand, Bach’s works are still living on the cutting edge despite the fact that he flourished in the 16th century. Even now, many musicians in rock, jazz and other genres are influenced directly by Bach rather than by an entire classic music. Astor Piazzolla often made pieces with fugato form after converting from classic music composer to Tango composer.

Anyway, there are a couple impressive performances I listened to in Bellingham.

One day, because it was nice weather, I thought I would go to play the viola around the bridge along shoreline near Fareheaven. After getting off the bus, when I was walking toward shoreline in the town, I heard baroque music like phrases from somewhere. A middle age black man was playing the melodica on a bench at the corner of a flower shop. Once he noticed I had a stringed instrument, he asked me to play together. In fact, he had played just one part in “Inventions (for two voices)” at that time. We shared two parts, picked up some pieces from his score (“Invention” consists of 16 pieces) and enjoyed playing them together until getting dark. I heard he was a jazz pianist and often played on street when there was no concert at night.

http://www.ericvaughnjazz.com/
Another opportunity I heard Bach on street is when I was walking in downtown. In front of the post office, a young man played a flute sonata with the recorder. Not only his performance, but I had never seen such the man, who were fully-tattooed, whose fashion looked like hippy and played Bach’s works with the recorder in front of the post office. I just enjoyed his playing without any questions, so the secret made his performance more attractive.

http://www.oto-no-mori.com/ney/Postoffice.mp3

I never say that playing Bach on street is important. Those independent musicians, who aren’t chained to a particular genre or style, are naturally motivated to play Bach’s works. They aren’t expected to learn Bach’s works as well as music students (they rarely play outside of school.) On the other hand, I can’t imagine those musicians play Beethoven or Brahms although they are doubtlessly great composers. (They might play “Hungarian Dance” or “To Joy from the 9th symphony,” but those are still just “Hungarian Dance” or “To Joy” rather than a Brahms’s work or a Beethoven’s work.)

Since the beginning of this year, I started to play Bach’s cello sonata No.1. That is suit for any situations, alone, in front of audiences, on street or under the quiet shade of a tree. Also, that is a much depthful piece enough to be lifelong piece for me as well as that some people decide “Faust” as the lifelong book.

4 comments:

The "I" Blog - Melissa said...

If I had to choose a composer, I think Bach would be my favorite. There is so much to hear in his music, so much depth and complexity.
Thank you for sharing your experiences - I love that you stopped on the street and played so spontaneously with another musician. I would love to hear you play sometime. Do you have any recitals or formal performances coming up?
Melissa

Nobu said...

In this Christmas season, I will play at some nursing homes, churches and... anywhere I'm invited. Also,I'm planning on the street to gather donations for poor areas in Africa. If you find me at downtown, call me!

December is the last month for me in Bellingham, so I hope to make it up somehow to people in this town.

The "I" Blog - Melissa said...

That's wonderful - I'll try to look out for you!

Are you going back to Japan or somewhere else in the U.S.?

Nobu said...

I'll transfer to University of Central Missouri. As the result of taking an audition in this summer, I got a small scholarship there.
It will cost cheaper than in WCC, so I can save money. Finally, I hope to get Master degree in the US.

Anyway, if you know Christmas getherings who want a performaer, let me know!