Sunday, November 18, 2007

Personal Nationalism

More then 60 years passed after the WWII. There is no day for me without a strong feeling; I’m now living in the country that defeated my country before even if they regard me just as from a part of Orient. I, of course, don’t feel hostile them at all, but it is important for me never to forget this tension.

Let’s say that our ground fathers who fought in the WW are the 1st generation, so our parents who were born after the war are the 2nd generation. They were mirror images of the pre-war 1st generation. In fact, my father used to be a left-wing campus activist and to be arrested sometimes. That might be a represent of his nationalism. On the other hand, the 2nd generation realized the rapid economic growth of Japan. As Japan loaned to America, the value of the yen was getting equal with of the dollar. While they finally obtained wealthy lives in 70’s, Japan seemed to overcome the inferiority complex about America. (At least, economically. Actually, there have been some influences of America, but I’ll mention another in the next week.) The tension of view to America has almost lost. For Japanese, America is no longer a living object but merely a fixed literature though nothing except economic situation has changed, in fact. So, how about us, the 3rd generation?

In Japan, nationalist originally means someone who insists on the maintenance of emperor system until the end of the cold war. However, there still are few possibilities that the emperor system will be exposed to threat. Many people gather without so important reason, make organizations and conflict with left-wing organizations probably in order to their new identity. Also, at the last erection, an extreme right-wing party unexpectedly was supported slightly mainly by young people in spite of its unrealistic policy. As well as recent France and some other countries, that absorbed the sense of frustration over societies. Of course, I’m not interested in those activities and people at all. In fact, politically, I’m rather an anarchist than conservative; I basically hate old vested interests which are established by the 2nd generation people, and hate the 3rd generation people who pursue to get a piece of the act.

Just the sense of boarder which I feel between I and Americans caused my nationalism. I found out this strong feeling once I was among Americans. Compared with people from other countries, Japanese apparently tend to prefer assimilate to another culture. Due to the long history of nationality, though they behave like Americans, they keep something like the root of nationality. They aren’t conscious of it, but they trust it much; it is artfully hidden. Therefore, some of them who wanted to become true Americans often are troubled by it.

I don’t hesitate to show my personal nationalism because I’m enough proud of my grandfathers not to have to share with someone. So, I appreciate any Americans or foreigners who show me their own pride. I must prove my grandfathers were brave. I must share respect to Americans as a descendant of respectable soldiers. This is my way, Tough Communication.

4 comments:

The "I" Blog - Melissa said...

Nobu,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I think we, Americans, don't often think about what sense of nationality those from other cultures who are living among us have. Perhaps because we are ethnocentric, perhaps because we have very little sense of nationalism ourselves. I'm not sure. My parents, my father especially, is much more nationalistic than I; he grew up in different times. Now, in much of the media, nationalism, American nationlism, seems almost to be portrayed as a shameful thing. I don't like to think of what we might be losing if we want to give up a consious sense of ourselves as Americans.
Melissa

Nobu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nobu said...

Melissa,
Thanks for your response. There seems to be a common belief that nationalism is incompatible with globalism. But I think always we have to know each ourselves to understand people from other culture, then we finally can accept differences. That media's tendency could be one of the big reasons of "The Clash of Civilizations."
We all have nationality and can't ignore it. I believe the individual(not collective) nationalism must lead to cosmopolitanism.

The "I" Blog - Melissa said...

I completely agree with you, Nobu - embracing and acknowledging our differences is both the way to celebrate life together and to learn to live together.